Friday, April 15, 2011

Subvert Your Sadness

When I started on this mix, I had a couple songs with unique acoustic guitar in mind thus I proceeded under the guise of a “folk” mix. As I put in more songs, including Tallest Man on Earth and Devil in These Guys, from Sweden, and British lads Vadoinmessico, I thought maybe this could be a walk around the world in a pair of folk shoes made out of acoustic guitars. At this point, though, I realized I’ve broken a couple rules and stepped on a couple toes, since Those Darlins would definitely be a bunch of lady garage rockers and Vadoinmessico goes by the term “Anti-folk,” which, according to Wikipedia, “takes the earnestness of politically charged 1960s folk music and subverts it.” Cool, whatever that means.
What I like about this set of songs is that they stand on their own two feet: good lyrics, intriguing guitar style, and in the case, particularly of Houston’s Ms. Cook and Chicago’s own Mr. Pug, deeply expressive vox.
For the linchpin song, I ended up in Durham, NC. Megafaun’s “Volunteers” is one of my 2010 top songs of the year. If you’re in a hurry, check that one out, though you may be late to where you’re going if you end up playing it three times in a row.

Tallest Man On Earth- King of Spain


Vadoinmessico – Curling Up Your Spine


Those Darlins – Wild One


Sarah Cook – Love Approached


Joe Pug – Unsophisticated Heart


Devil in These Guys – Den Storsta av sma segrar


Megafaun – Volunteers

No comments:

Post a Comment